The Administrator is responsible for the operations of the Surgery Centers, by establishing a system for providing high quality care, assuring sound fiscal operations while promoting services that are cost-effective, compliance with regulatory agencies and accrediting bodies while continually monitoring the organization’s service and delivery system. Ensures optimal fulfillment of the mission and vision. Responds to the Medical Staff, employees and patients. In addition, the Administrator works closely with the Board of Managers, Chairman of the Board, the Medical Directors, Director of Operations and Controller in developing the strategic direction of the organization.
1. Establishes a culture of open communication, accountability, and timely decision making.
2. Creates an environment of continuous improvement that fosters physician and staff collaboration, enhances revenues, controls costs and improves overall performance.
3. Facilitates regularly scheduled Medical Executive Committee, Credentials Committee and Utilization Review meetings. Serves as an Ex-Officio member of these committees.
4. Provides leadership to the non-physician staff.
5. Provides direction for and evaluation of organizational committee activities including but not limited to Quality Assessment Performance Improvement, Risk Management, and Infection Control.
6. Oversees strong workforce development through recruitment and retention, employee satisfaction and engagement, maximizing growth potential of employees, succession planning, and embracing diversity as a strategic advantage.
7. Establish and sustain a culture of service excellence.
8. Maintains professional growth and development through continuing education and professional affiliations.
9. Serves on professional/civic organizations, health system teams and committees as a company representative
1. Facilitates, in collaboration with the Board, Medical Staff, and Executive Team (Director of Operations and Controller) the development and implementation of strategic plans.
2. Recommends, develops and updates strategic plans to support the Centers’ mission and vision.
Quality, Safety and Service Delivery
1. Establishes and attains challenging / achievable patient care, quality and safety goals.
2. Ensures smooth functioning, highly efficient, quality service for patients, physicians, vendors and others.
Medical Staff Relationships
1. Establishes and maintains communications with the Medical Staff.
2. Serves as a liaison of the Evansville Physicians’ S-Corporation.
3. Facilitates Medical Staff By-Law revisions and the communication of such to the Medical Staff.
4. Provides guidance to the physician governance bodies.
1. Supports business development with physicians individually and collectively, that promotes cooperation and coordinated effort in accomplishing mutual goals.
2. Coordinates new Center development.
3. Collects data on new programs, trends in service changes, new business opportunities and makes recommendations to the Board.
4. Establishes relationships and negotiates contracts with third party payers in conjunction with Controller.
1. Ensures compliance with regulations governing Ambulatory Surgery Centers and the rules of accrediting bodies, and represents the Center in legal matters.
2. Participates with legal counsel, consultants, and contractors as appropriate.
1. Ensures the Centers’ services are cost effective.
2. Develops annual fiscal year budget in collaboration with Controller and Director of Operations.
3. Monitors the budget and the Centers’ performance.
4. Achieves and sustains strong financial health.
5. Ensures the financial return to the share holders is maximized.
6. Ensures a collaborative working relationship with Joint Venture partners.
Understanding and appreciation for a culture and environment associated with managing a complex service organization in a competitive, turbulent healthcare market. Works in collaboration with Board Members to ensure strategic objectives are met. Evidence of the ability to interact, relate to work with and to support the activities of highly qualified, dynamic physicians as individuals and as members of the organized Medical Staff. Knowledge and experience in establishing and sustaining productive relationships with members of the Medical Staff, the Board, Practice Administrators, Joint Venture Partners and others. Ability to delegate responsibility to senior subordinates, allowing them the autonomy to accomplish specific goals and objectives.
Master’s degree required (Healthcare Administration, Business Administration, or related field.) It is preferred that the Administrator have a BS in Nursing or Management. Minimum of five years experience in ambulatory surgical services and previous 5 years experience in hospital/ambulatory administrative management.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
Requires sitting, bending, stooping and stretching. Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, photocopier, telephone, calculator and other office equipment. Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to record, prepare, and communicate appropriate reports. Position works in environmentally controlled office setting, with average accommodations. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Under direct supervision of a Registered Nurse, performs the duties of a Surgical Technologist, and assists in the operative procedure by preparation of unsterile instruments, equipment and supplies.
1. Functions as a Surgical Technologist in the operating room according to ESC Polices & Procedures.
2. Assists with gowning and gloving other members of the surgical team.
3. Assists with the preparation of the operating room for surgical procedures.
4. Assists with skin preparations, and draping of patients.
5. Assists with care, preparation, maintenance, and after-care of sterile and unsterile supplies, instruments and equipment.
6. Maintains strict adherence to sterile technique, and monitors other member of the surgical team.
7. Handles specimens in accordance with ESC Polices & Procedures.
8. Removes drapes at end of procedure, cleanses the patient of prep solution and applies dressings as instructed.
9. Cleans instruments and equipment after use and returns them to proper area for storage and processing.
10. Respects patients’ right to privacy, dignity and confidentiality.
11. Differentiates sterilization methods required for specific instruments, equipment, and supplies, and demonstrates safe and accurate use and care of sterilizing equipment.
12. Participates on various committees as assigned.
13. Assists with housekeeping duties as necessary to provide clean and safe equipment.
14. Participates in sponge, instrument, and needle count with the circulating nurse per ESC Policies & Procedures.
15. Participates in departmental meetings, orientation of new personnel and inservice programs as assigned.
16. Assists with stocking, replenishing and preparation of supplies.
17. Demonstrates knowledge and skills necessary to provide care based on physical/psycho-social/cognitive/related criteria appropriate to the age of the patient.
18. Recognizes legal and policy limits of individual responsibility.
19. Participates in and complies with Performance Improvement Program.
20. Assists in updating and maintaining physician preference cards.
21. Completes annual mandatory inservices, as well as other inservices offered that are relevant to the operating room. Maintains confidential passwords for computer learning. Takes responsibility for completion of learning assignments on time.
22. Uses maximum care and caution when handling surgical equipment and instruments.
23. Responsible for conservation and control of supplies utilized.
24. Performs other duties as assigned.
Responsible to: Direct supervision of Operating Room staff nurse
Operating Room Charge Nurse
Director of Operations / Facilities Administrator
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactory. The requirements listed below are representative of the skills, knowledge, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to perform essential functions.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK ENVIRONMENT:
1. Standing and/or walking a considerable amount of time.
2. Pushing, pulling, lifting and positioning light to heavy equipment and patients.
Works in a well-lighted and ventilated areas with complicated equipment, some of which is hazardous in nature. May be exposed to hazardous chemicals and/or patients who have communicable diseases.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
1. High School graduate or GED required.
2. Successful complete of Operating Room / Surgical Technologist Program.
3. Certification in Surgical Technology preferred.
4. Certification in Basic Life Support (CPR) required.
5. Two (2) years operating room experience as a Surgical Technologist preferred.