Reporting to the Administrator, the Director of Operations is the senior executive for all operational and management activities for the following areas: patient care services/nursing, professional and support services, plant operations/facilities, materials management/purchasing, and coordination and direction of all clinical service lines. The Director of Operations is responsible for directing, coordinating and controlling all aspects of the operating functions, processes, and staff of the Evansville Surgery Center while demonstrating the primary goal of efficiently providing services that exceed customer expectations and improve clinical and financial operations.
The Director of Operations must work closely with nursing and physician leadership to integrate all operations in the centers to assure appropriate continuity of care for the patients. The Director of Operations will serve with the Executive Team to develop strategies which assure ongoing financial viability of the organization, programs to continue to meet the mission, and staffing to insure the mission can be carried out through appropriate persons.
1. With other members of the Executive Team (Administrator and Controller), provides leadership by developing and implementing the organization’s strategic plan.
2. Provides leadership to those who work directly for the Director of Operations in developing and implementing annual goals, objectives and strategies which fulfill its mission, increase quality, improve efficiency, reduce costs, and assure exemplary customer service.
3. Oversees daily operations of the facility.
4. Assumes responsibility for the facility in the absence of the Administrator.
5. Serves as a liaison between the Medical Staff and all departments of the facility.
6. Maintains professional growth and development through seminars, workshops, and professional affiliations to keep abreast of the latest industry trends.
7. Attends and serves on professional/civic organizations and health system teams and committees as a company representative.
1. Works with the Executive Team to develop and implement the annual operating budget for areas of direct responsibility; assures that all revenue and expense budgets and goals are met each year in the organization.
2. Works with the Executive Team to develop the organization’s annual and long range capital plan.
3. Maintains responsibility and accountability for cost containment of direct/variable costs; explains variances as indicated.
1. Develops and implements policies and procedures which ensure patient safety; assures that all regulatory requirements, including ISDH, CMS and HFAP, are met.
2. Assures that the organization is in a constant state of Regulatory readiness.
3. Responsible for patient relationships including ensuring that the centers’ operations are conducted in a manner which provides the highest satisfaction to the patients while, at the same time, are effective, safe and efficient.
4. Ensures that all operations in areas of responsibility are conducted in a manner which promotes the most efficient use of human, plant, and fiscal resources.
1. Oversees and coordinates customer service initiatives to ensure integrated approaches to improve patient satisfaction.
2. Using patient and physician satisfaction surveys, identifies and implements projects which will have the most impact on continually improving customer satisfaction.
1. Ensures human resource management is properly administered including recruiting, hiring, compensation and performance management.
2. Monitors employee productivity and efficiencies, and works with leadership team to ensure appropriate staffing with changes in case volume.
3. Provides educational opportunities for professional staff development.
4. Promotes ongoing positive employee relations.
Medical Staff Relationships
1. Works closely and collaboratively with the Medical Staff to develop a comprehensive and effective clinical efficiency program, which maximizes patient safety, minimizes costs, and assures a high level of quality for patient care.
2. Promotes positive relationships between employees and practitioners.
3. Maintains effective and collaborative working relations with physicians.
4. Participates in board of directors’ and shareholders’ meetings.
A successful track record of senior management experience and accomplishments in the operations of a complex healthcare organization. Experience in management techniques, financial management, planning and clinical operations. Demonstrated understanding of regulatory environment, current healthcare trends, best practices, and legal issues. Experience in an environment that supports a creative approach to management and an understanding of the “big picture.” Ability to build relationships and collaborate with a variety of constituents in a manner that reflects respect and confidence.
Bachelor’s degree in nursing, and a current license to practice nursing in the state of Indiana is required. Master’s degree in nursing, management, or business and a minimum five years operating room experience is also required. Minimum five years experience in an administrative or management position in healthcare. CNOR Certification is preferred. Certification in BLS is required; ACLS is desirable