A pre-op nurse will call you the day before your scheduled surgery, or you can call us. During the call we will review your health history, medications, past surgeries, allergies and other information about your current health status.
Notify your surgeon of any change in your physical condition, such as a cold, fever, sore throat, rash or flu.
Please make arrangements for a responsible adult to drive you to and from the Evansville Surgery Center on the day of your surgery and remain with you overnight. Your surgery will not be performed if a responsible adult does not drive you to and from the Center and agree to stay with you overnight.
The following instructions are very important and MUST be followed. Otherwise, your surgery may be cancelled.
- Do not eat or drink anything after midnight the night before your surgery including water, juice, coffee, chewing gum, mints, etc.
- Do not drink alcoholic beverages or take recreational drugs 48 hours prior to surgery.
- Do not take aspirin or aspirin products for one week before and after surgery, unless other wise instructed by your doctor. Talk to your doctor if you take Coumadin, Motrin, Ibuprofin, Vitamin E or other blood-thinners.
- If you're taking medication for breathing, seizures, heart disease or blood pressure, take them the morning of surgery with a small sip of water. If you use inhalers, bring them with you.
- If you are diabetic, you should take the full dose of insulin the night before surgery. The preop nurse will give you further instructions regarding the day of surgery during the preop phone call, or you can call us for further instructions.
- Please leave all valuables including jewelry at home.
If you feel you cannot comply with these guidelines, please call the pre-operative nurse to discuss your concerns.